May 13, 2010

Blogs, good reading or just perpetuating crap on the internet?

So, I enjoy reading blogs, of all sorts, sewing, parenting, crafting blah, blah, blah.  Sometimes I like to write about or share them here, my husband says its just perpetuating crap on the internet - not that it stops him reading some of them too!

My current favourite is by Australian Mia Freedman (you know former Editor of Cosmo/Cleo/Dolly) it's called Mama Mia.  It's fantastic. Honest, funny and cool.  She writes postings like "Sharon Stone are you Batshit Crazy, Yes you are" and "What are you thankful for this week" but most of all she tells it like it is (for her, and to be honest a lot of the rest of us).

She's wrongly copped a lot of unfair comment from the likes of Australia's Today Tonight on a recent posting - it's filed under body image and you can read it here. And then you can read Mia's response to the media storm here.

Why do I care? I'm writing about it because I hate Today Tonight and after three years away I'd forgotten about it. But, it seems they're still producing pieces not with a balanced approach but designed to entertain the viewers with antagonistic journalism. Shame on you TT. And that's my say on the matter.  I love Mia's blog and will continue to read it, and when I return to Australia I'll still hate Today Tonight.

I find Mia's blog so refreshing and enjoyable to read. When it comes to parenting it's different from the Mommy blogs that I read about my local area (honestly, that's the closest I've come to a parent group).  It's just more fun and informative than most anything else I read. Plus, I feel just a little bit connected to the goings on at home in Australia when I read it (like this post "Not Happy Kev..." and this one on the 2010 federal budget.

On a happier note, back to the thank you post - "Thank You Note..." which leads me to another blog where the author, Leah, writes a thank you note daily to something. Anything. From alcohol, to an flight music catalog. I love it, and am adding to my list of favourite things.  So thanks MamaMia.com.au for finding it and sharing it, and thanks to thxthxthx.com for writing it!

I encourage you to check out these blogs too! And in the mean time, I'll continue to read my ever growing blog roll and perpetuate crap on the internet!

xo S
images from Mama Mia and from thxthxthx.com

No comments:

Post a Comment